Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

30 Days and Counting...

 
Burano, Italy 

I leave for Europe in 30 days! The thought of it makes me crazy-excited and also makes my stomach do some crazy flips. I have lots to do before I go and not that much time to do it all. But, I'm relieved to say, there isn't as much to do this time around compared to last year. I was teaching then, moving away from a place I had been for three years, going to SNAG to give a lecture, preparing to travel abroad alone for the first time ever, and taking time to be with my family, all before I left. It was an intense couple of months. This time there is still much to do, but it feels manageable and not overwhelming, at least not yet. Every day is precious, though, and there is no time to waste. To keep things light, I thought I would share ten things I look forward to doing and seeing while I'm traveling, in no particular order:


1. Visit the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, again, just to see the collection of historical jewelry.

2. Take a boat to Burano, Italy, an island known for its tradition of lace-making and row after row of colorful houses.

3. Visit Platin-Moretus Museum in Antwerp--a museum devoted to books and printing. I didn't make it there over the summer and I'm glad I have a second-chance...

4. See ceiling paintings by Giovanni Battista Tiepolo and other Italian greats in Venice. I studied ceiling painting in college and can't wait to see some in person.

5. Walk every single street in fortified, medieval Certaldo, where I'm teaching.

6. Tour Alchimia in Florence and meet the instructors and students.

interior of Kántrýbær
 
7. Listen to Patsy Kline while hanging out at Kántrýbær, Iceland's only country bar, located in Skagaströnd where my Nes residency is.

8. Take pictures of the over 700 varieties of lichen with my macro-lens as I hike around Iceland.




9.Visit as many museums as I can in Reykjavik, including ASI Art Museum to see the work of Unndór Egill Jónsson.

Unndór Egill Jónsson

Certaldo, Italy 

10. Eat a Belgian waffle and drink some Belgian beer. Not at the same time, though.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: